These waffles are quick, easy, healthy and vegan! They’re also extremely filling so you’ll only need two or three to feel full! Freeze the rest so you have breakfast for the next few days!
Yields 8 waffles
- 1.5 cups oat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ~ 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin spice
- 2 flax eggs (recipe below)
- 3/4 cup milk (cow’s milk, almond milk, coconut milk)
- 4 T melted butter
- ~2 T maple syrup or honey
- a splash of vanilla extract
How to make one flax seed egg:
Combine 1 Tablespoon of ground flax seed with 3 Tablespoons of water. Stir to combine. Let it sit for 10 minutes. It will thicken and develop an egg-like consistency. Use to replace eggs in your recipes!
- Combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, spices) in a bowl. Whisk to mix.
- In a separate bowl, add all wet ingredients (egg, milk, butter, syrup/honey, vanilla).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix well, but don’t over mix. The batter should still be a bit lumpy.
- Let the batter sit for around 10 minutes so that it thickens up a bit.
- Heat up your waffle iron and after the 10 minutes are up, start adding the batter to your waffle iron.
- Important tip! Don’t stack your waffles when they’re done cooking. The steam from the waffles is what makes them soggy. Instead lay them out on a wire rack so that they stay crispy.
- Finally, add some bananas, syrup, and whipped cream and enjoy!